[platform-core-dev] Re: New marker update API

Disclaimer: I'm new to the whole eclipse thing... I've been lurking,
reading, and observing, but yet to play an active role, and I'm not
intimately familiar with any of the code, just a vague overview.  If I'm
out of line, or say something really stupid, a gentle slap would be appreciated.

Right, down to the RFC:
The proposed API looks reasonable to me - it's simple and to the point.
But as I read it, the following jumped out at me:
"The update should be light-weight and as fast as possible. These updates could
potentially occur after every user edit, or during a large batch of refactoring
changes"

and then the API proceeds to be a method for each individual change.
Would it not be better (trickier, but better) to allow multiple changes to
be coallesced into a "Delta", much like is done in core.resources.  A
given marker extension could register either for coallesced updates or
individual updates, depending on the nature of it's markers.  This gives
the flexibility of getting each notification individually if required, or
the performance advantage of a bulk update when feasible.

I don't know if this fits with the general UI direction of eclipse
(perhaps not a subject for this list), but this could also then support a
user turning off marker updates for a period of editing, if they're on a
slow machine, or editing a complex bit of data that would just be painful
to update markers "on-the-fly".

Does this gel with anyone else, or am I missing the whole point?

Craig Miskell

Back to the top