[platform-compare-dev] commands (2. attempt to get it onto the mailing lists of all effected components)

I released the first steps of adopting the new commands extension point moving away from the actionDefinitions and accelerator* extension points. This is necessary in order to achieve a proper categorization scheme for commands on the key bindings preference page (see #34056). The categorization of commands goes along the lines of our menu structure, i.e., File, Edit, Source, Navigate, .... In the Platform we additionally define a "Text Editing" category that comprises all editing commands that are not represented in the menu such as Delete Next/Previous Word, Select to End of Line, etc.

For Platform Text, the actions are migrated. At the JDT UI level I migrated all actions of the categories Edit, Text Editing, and Source. Missing are the refactoring, search, and compare actions. For refactoring, I defined a Refactoring category. The Search and Compare categories should be defined in the according platform plug-ins. Those plug-ins should migrate as well.

In the JDT UI plugin.xml I grouped the command definition together with the key binding definition to ensure that we explicitly define the accelerators for the default and the emacs configuration. So far, we have not been consistent.

While migrating to the commands extension point we also assign scopes to the key bindings (see #32087). The platform defines the scopes "Global" and "Text Editor", whereby the "Text Editor" scope is derived from "Global". The Text Editor scope is active in the Default Text Editor and any editor based on a subclass of TextEditor that does not explicitly set its own scope. JDT UI extends the "Text Editor" scope to the "Java Editor" scope.  The "Java Editor" scope is active in the Compilation Unit Editor and the Class File Editor. Actions should be scoped to "Java Editor" or "Text Editor" if they are available only in a Java editor or the Default Text Editor, respectively. As soon as actions are available in other parts they should be scoped as "Global". Please be careful when assigning scopes to avoid non-working accelerators.

Please migrate the actions you own to the new scheme. We should be done with the Sunday night build in order to have enough time left to solve related issues.
Thanks, Kai

Back to the top