Re: [platform-ant-dev] Ant Refactoring

Hi Gavin,
i want to implement some refactorings for ant in eclipse too:),
so below are some more interesting resources I gathered during preparation which i hope can help you:

1) general plugin development
-you can get some general links for recommended reading list:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecl-read/

-you can check some general articles about plugins from
http://www.eclipse.org/articles

-developerworks 'Create a commercial-quality Eclipse IDE' series is very good for getting overview of all parts of language-specific IDE integration (part 2 for editor framework)
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/opensource/libraryview.jsp?search_by=Create+commercial-quality+eclipse+ide

- you can also check presentations from EclipseCon
http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/index.php?page=sub/

- on using ant integration in eclipse i found this:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-os-eclipse-tools.html

- if you want to have book, then it is 'Eclipse: Building Commercial-Quality Plug-ins, Second Edition' (Addison-Wesley, 2006)

2) refactoring
-eclipse specific refactoring articles:
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-Unleashing-the-Power-of-Refactoring/index.html
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-LTK/ltk.html

3) ant specific refactoring
- original bugzilla entry with some initial ideas: https://bugs.eclipse.org/89938
- very good chapter 'Refactoring Ant Build files' in The Thoughtworks Anthology (Pragmatic Programmers, 2008) - i think it can be basis for deciding what refactorings to implement
-same author has also nice blog on builds/ant on http://www.build-doctor.com/

4) for starting developing eclipse ant plugins
check out ant plugins from eclipse CVS (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/CVS_Howto)
org.apache.ant
org.eclipse.ant.core
org.eclipse.ant.ui (main eclipse/ant plugin)
org.eclipse.ui.externaltools
org.eclipse.ant.tests.core
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui
org.eclipse.test
org.eclipse.test.performance
org.eclipse.test.performance
.data

run tests in org.eclipse.ant.core (AutomatedSuite), org.eclipse.ant.ui  (AntUITests class) to have them green first.

Several (sub)projects written more detailed instructions how to start/contribute (for example http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/debug/get_involved.php)

Darin Swanson wrote call for help as part of summer of code 2008 on http://wiki.eclipse.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2008_Ideas (search for 'Ant buildfile refactorings')
so I guess refactorings could be integrated into org.eclipse.ant.ui.

Hope it helps.
Martin Karpisek