[platform-ant-dev] test failures

I pulled down the org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui package and attempted to run
tests against M6 using the JUnitPlugin Test launch configuration. I am
seeing many errors and failures with few tests actually running and passing
so my guess is that I am doing something wrong.

I see this message in a dialog after the tests have run:

Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench.
  The project description file (.project) for Ant UI Tests was missing.
This file contains important information about the project.  A new project
description file has been created, but some information about the project
may have been lost.

The console has more:

!MESSAGE Problems saving workspace
Problems saving workspace
Reason:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.ide 2 1 Dec 31, 2003 12:29:34.651
!MESSAGE Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.resources 2 234 Dec 31, 2003 12:29:34.651
!MESSAGE The project description file (.project) for Ant UI Tests was
missing.  This file contains important information about the project.  A new
project description file has been created, but some information about the
project may have been lost.
Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench.

However the .project file does appear to be in appropriate place in the
workbench plugin.

The org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.BuildTests all err with something to the effect
of:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.exists(LaunchConfigurati
on.java:237)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.testplugin.AbstractAntUITest.getLaunchConfiguration
(AbstractAntUITest.java:187)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.testplugin.AbstractAntUITest.launch(AbstractAntUITe
st.java:159)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.AbstractAntUIBuildTest.launch(AbstractAntUIBuildTes
t.java:73)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.BuildTests.testOutput(BuildTests.java:34)

The org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.editor.AntEditorContentOutlineTests all fail
with problems similar to the following:

junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Could not find build file named:
test2.xml
	at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:20)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.testplugin.AbstractAntUITest.getBuildFile(AbstractA
ntUITest.java:73)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.testplugin.AbstractAntUITest.getDocument(AbstractAn
tUITest.java:87)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.testplugin.AbstractAntUITest.getAntModel(AbstractAn
tUITest.java:132)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.editor.AntEditorContentOutlineTests.testOutlinePrep
aringHandler(AntEditorContentOutlineTests.java:42)

Similarly org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.editor.CodeCompletionTest err all on a
theme:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.io.Reader.<init>(Reader.java:61)
	at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:80)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.internal.ui.editor.AntEditorCompletionProcessor.parseDtd(Ant
EditorCompletionProcessor.java:168)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.internal.ui.editor.AntEditorCompletionProcessor.<init>(AntEd
itorCompletionProcessor.java:154)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.editor.support.TestTextCompletionProcessor.<init>(T
estTextCompletionProcessor.java:24)
	at
org.eclipse.ant.tests.ui.editor.CodeCompletionTest.testAttributeProposals(Co
deCompletionTest.java:67)

I'll spare you additional detail regarding test failures and errors.

As this seemed to me to suggest that resources were not getting copied to
the runtime-workbench I tried playing with the 'clear workspace' setting,
but this didn't seem to help. I also tried various combinations of workbench
and external plugins, which also didn't help much. I imagine I'm doing
something stupid in the configuration. Could someone point me in the right
direction?

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement - eMeasurement Group

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@xxxxxxxxxxx