Re: [platform-ant-dev] Contribution of Planty

Hi Alf,

good to hear from you again! Your answer is just in time since
M5 is approaching and we have to decide ASAP how to proceed
with regard to Ant editing support.

So, yes we are still highly interested in your contribution.
We have also done some initial exploratory work in the area of
editing Ant scripts and there might be good synergies.

I've attached the excerpt from the eclipse charter below on how
to make a contribution. You should either attach the code to
a message sent to this mailing list or to a bugzilla bug report.

One issue is the DTD parser you are using. Including
third party licensed code requires a special permission. Currently there is
no
LGPL licensed code in Eclipse and this is likely a problem. Breaking
this dependency on the DTD parser you are using would be highly
desirable (this is something we could work on).

Therefore, how much effort do you think it is to to replace the existing
DTD
parser with a solution based on Xerces. For example, using SAX and
a DTDhandler to parse the Ant DTD?

Obviously the Ant committers will have more questions once we
have access to the source.

--erich

PS: we should try to connect at OOP, but let's fix something off-line.

------

From the Eclipse Charter for how to make a contribution:

 All contributions to the Eclipse Project must adhere to the Common Public
 License http://www.eclipse.org/legal/cpl-v10.html. Notwithstanding the
 above, at the discretion of the PMC, Eclipse Project downloads may include
 separately licensed code from third parties as a convenience and where
 permitted by the third party license, provided this is clearly indicated.

 All contributions must contain the following copyright notice.

 /**********************************************************************
 Copyright (c) {date} {name of original contributor} and others.
 All rights reserved.   This program and the accompanying materials
 are made available under the terms of the Common Public License v1.0
 which accompanies this distribution, and is available at
 http://www.eclipse.org/legal/cpl-v10.html

 Contributors:
     <contributor1> - <description of contribution, e.g. Initial design and
 implementation>
     <contributor2> - <description of contribution>
 **********************************************************************/

 The original contributor is the one who contributes the first version of
 the file. A contributor may be a person or an organization - whoever owns
 the copyright. If the contributor is an organization, the person may also
 be indicated. For each additional contributor, indicate the part of the
 code or contribution that came from the contributor, especially if it
 contains an interesting algorithm or data table etc. For clarity, also
 indicate the contributor in the actual section of contributed code. Also
 reference the bugzilla bug ID if applicable. The basic principle is to
 clearly identify the contribution... especially if it is a separable block
 of code.

                      Alf.Schiefelbein@gebit.
                      de                              To:      platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-ant-dev-admin@         Subject: [platform-ant-dev] Contribution of Planty
                      eclipse.org

                      01/07/2003 12:46 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ant-dev

---------------

> You were reacting to my hint and explained that you are considering
> making the code available under CPL in the next 2-3 months. This
> is good news but this also means that the Ant editor will not be
> available for 2.1. This is not so good news <g> so here is my
> last effort. When contributing to Eclipse you will still get the credit
> that
> you wrote the code. You will get support from Eclipse developers
> to improve the plugin. Finally, it is easier to get something into the
> platform when involving the component comitters early.
>
> --erich

Hello Erich,

sorry that answering to this took a while. Holidays were in between. Had
some
work to do for the presentation at OOP. I saw that you will be there, too.
Maybe
you would like to drop by at our desk for a talk or so? I also had to do
some
discussing and persuading considering this matter.

Well, we are ready to contribute the whole current source of Planty to the
Community now. I just hope that you are still interested and also hope that
the
time that we have left will be enough for Planty to make it into 2.1.

Maybe you could give me some more information on how we go on?
I remember that I should use some official channel for contribution. How is
that?
For conformity I will change the license of the code to CPL. Though as I
stated
earlier, I am using the dtd parser which is licensed under LGPL. You should
tell
me how to handle this issue.

Maybe you could also tell me what the credit for contribution would be
like?

greetings, alf