Re: [platform-ant-dev] Run Ant[...]

I believe this is actually a larger problem...

Users would like to see "Run/Debug" actions in the navigator menu generically. They would like to run java apps, ant builds, etc..... The problem is that the menu quickly becomes polluted with actions. The difficulty with launching actions, is knowing when a launch action should be present and enabled (determining this can be time consuming - i.e. too much time to make the menu perform responsively). The "Run Ant" action is present for XML files - but not all XML files are Ant scripts. We have faced this problem in the debug platform, and decided not to place the launch actions in the navigator menu, since doing the selective enablement is a difficult problem. Unfortunately, the "Run Ant..." action was present since it was (in the past) contributed by a plug-in that did not use the debug platform launching support/styles. The debug platform solved this problem with launch shortcuts available from the "Run/! Debug As" menus. To be consistent, the "Run Ant" action should no longer be in the navigator.

Currently, we have left the action there, since it is difficult to remove function once it has been given. As well, the actions is present as the "Run Ant..." action (i.e. opens the dialog), since the old action always opened a dialog which allowed the user to choose targets to run, and change arguments.

Darin

Jared Burns <jared-eclipse@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ant-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/08/2002 03:22 PM