Re: [platform-ant-dev] Run Ant[...]

Also note that there is a "launch shortcut" in the external tools menu "Run As -> Ant Build" that will never prompt - it does what "Run Ant" did.

Darin

Jared Burns <jared-eclipse@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ant-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/06/2002 12:01 PM
Please respond to platform-ant-dev

        To:        platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        [platform-ant-dev] Run Ant[...]

In the latest CVS, the "Run Ant" action in the navigator has been replaced
with a "Run Ant..." action. "Run Ant" used to just run the selected file. The
"..." version brings up the launch configuration dialog on the file. My
understanding is that the new version was added for people who want to select
their targets everytime they run.

This new method assumes that you're changing your targets most of the time. I
almost never change my targets, so the dialog is just an annoyance for me.
Even for those who are running different target configurations, I think this
is encouraging an underutilization of the power of launch configs. If you've
got multiple target scenarios, it's easier to choose the appropriate launch
config than to reconfigure a single config every time you launch.

The new action can be useful and I understand adding it. But I think it is a
mistake to get rid of the old action. I would prefer to keep both actions in
the context menu. An alternative (space-saving) approach would be an "Ant"
submenu that contains the two versions.

Thoughts? Am I the only one who liked the prompt-less "Run Ant" action?

- Jared