Re: [platform-ant-dev] Bug 27540 Run Ant vs. Ant View

I guess it just took someone proposing that we go the opposite way to make me
see that I like Darin's suggestion best. :-)

Your suggestion resolves the problem by making the user experience in resource
navigators more like the user's current experience in the Ant View. This
solves the "different solutions" problem, but it breaks our current strategy
of "doing the right thing." Currently, the Run Ant action allows you to run
with no work up front and it also lets you configure the script for future
runs (by tweaking the config). The stateless solution loses this second
feature.

I would prefer to unify the user's experience by making the Ant View use
persisted launch configs. The only question I have is how painless we can
make the experience, particularly regarding the "multiple configs per file"
scenario I described earlier. The right answer *could* be to prompt the user
every time, but I'd like to come up with something better if we can.

- Jared

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 02:40 pm, Jed Anderson wrote:
> Here's how I would like to see things work.  I think this simplifies the
> simple case, and unifies the expert user mode.
>
> #1 should just run the default target (whether or not it creates a user
> visible launch config... i'm still out to sea)
> #2 should be another entry point to the mechanism described in #3
> #3 should retain the current philosophy
> #4 should retain the current philosophy

Back to the top