From: "Jared Burns" <jared-eclipse@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2002 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [platform-ant-dev] How to use Ant functionality in recent
builds?

Hi, Max.

We'd like to provide this feature, we can't have the "Run Ant" action appear
on the context menu all of the time. The context menus in resource navigator
views are already heavily populated and we can't afford to clutter them with
actions that aren't universally interesting. If we provide this action, we'd
probably have to hide them by default but let you turn them on in the
preferences.

That said, we gave this some thought yesterday and we came up with something
like the following:
1. Provide a "Run Ant" action which runs Ant without ever bringing up the
launch config dialog. If you choose this action on an XML file, the action
will try to find a launch config. If it can't, it will create one. Then it
will run the config.
2. Provide a "Run Ant..." action which always brings up the launch
configuration dialog on the found or newly created config.
3. Provide the option to "Always show 'Run Ant' actions". With this option
enabled, the above dialogs will appear on all resources, not just XML files.
With this option enabled, the Run Ant actions will behave as usual for XML
files. For non-XML files, the action will prompt the user to enter a search
string (defaulting to "build.xml" and then to the last string entered) and
will then search through the hierarchy for a file matching the string. Once
match is found, the action will behave as usual.
4. Provide a preference to "Build files to search for: " that can be set
once
the "Always show 'Run Ant' actions" preference is enabled. This preference
would allow you to enter a series of search strings for the "Run Ant"
actions
to use. If a value is entered here, the actions won't prompt for a search
string when run.

How does that sound?

- Jared