Re: [platform-ant-dev] Ant View rework

Just heard through the grapevine that there is a 1.4 VM beta for mac.

covering my bases,
jkca

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "Jed Anderson"         |
|         |           <Jed_Anderson@xxxxxxx> |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           platform-ant-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           11/27/2002 10:11 AM    |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           platform-ant-dev       |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                         |
  |        To:      platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                            |
  |        cc:                                                                                              |
  |        Subject: Re: [platform-ant-dev] Ant View rework                                                  |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

How long is 'eventually'?  The mac platform just got a 1.3.1 VM, for sure
we have to wait until they get 1.4 before moving.  This could easily be 1-2
years.  And... what's to say that we will ever move?  Also, we may end up
supporting platforms where the Java runtimes are many years behind.  I
would love to see us move to 1.4, but I could see us staying with 1.3 for
many years.

If the core team made these classes available to the general public (made
them API) we (Eclipse as a whole) could save on some serious memory.
Having 9,10, or 11 copies of some classes is ludicrous.  Perhaps the PMC
would agree to allowing the core team to mark the classes as "API, to be
deleted" so that in the future the core team could delete them without
backlash.  Just an idea...

jkca

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "John Arthorne"        |
|         |           <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxx>|
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           platform-ant-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           11/27/2002 09:15 AM    |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           platform-ant-dev       |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

  |        To:      platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |        cc:
|
  |        Subject: Re: [platform-ant-dev] Ant View rework

The short answer is that it just didn't seem to fit into the API anywhere.
There are a couple of these random utility classes that never found a good
home.  There are also ten "Assert" classes and eleven "Policy" classes that
are largely duplicated.  Eventually we'll be able to move to JDK 1.4 and
the need for both Assert and StringMatcher will go away.