[platform-ant-dev] How to use Ant to build my own projects

Hey all,

New member and user of Eclipse here. What an awesome
idea. There are just a few issues I have with it, but
for the most part it rocks. Better than JBuild, FAR
better than Forte!

Anyway, I have an old text editor that allowed command
line calls. I would use this to trigger my ant script
and it worked great. Even better, it allowed hot keys
like F1 - F12 and so forth to be assigned which made it
super fast to do a build. So, two things related to Ant.

First, I tried the right-click on the Ant xml script I
have, did a build, and it seemed to compile. In the
toolbar I see the little running man icon, and I can
select my script to build. However, it is now not doing
any compiling. It seems to run the packaging part into
the .jar file my build does, but it never seems to pick
up the source changes and do a compile. When I clicked
properties, it showed it being in the eclipse folder
somewhere (forget where), so I changed it to use my
c:\projects\myproject\scripts\build.xml. Still does the
same thing. So, the first question is, how can I use my
build script in my own project /scripts folder? By the
way, I added a NEW project, but selected my old folder
for it, where I keep all my projects. I can edit all the
code just fine, just seems not to pick up any changes
during the build.

Second thing, is there any "hot" keys that I can assign
to just press a key to do my build as opposed to having
to use the mouse to right-click on my xml script and do
the Run Ant and then check the target I want and hit ok,
OR use the running man icon and selecting it? I find
using keyboard shortcuts save a lot of time and I am
hoping eclipse allows the ability to assign a hot key to
execute an external task. If not, any chance this is
coming in a version soon?

Thanks.

> To post to this list, send your email to:
>
>   platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

> If you ever want to unsubscribe or change your options (eg, switch to
> or from digest mode, change your password, etc.), visit your
> subscription page at:
>

> http://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/options/platform-ant-dev/kevin.duffey%40attbi.com

>   platform-ant-dev-request@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> with the word `help' in the subject or body (don't include the
> quotes), and you will get back a message with instructions.
>
> You must know your password to change your options (including changing
> the password, itself) or to unsubscribe.  It is:
>
>   051598041401
>
> If you forget your password, don't worry, you will receive a monthly
> reminder telling you what all your eclipse.org mailing list passwords
> are, and how to unsubscribe or change your options.  There is also a
> button on your options page that will email your current password to
> you.
>
> You may also have your password mailed to you automatically off of the
> Web page noted above.

Back to the top