[platform-ant-dev] Re: Using variables in the External Tools UI

Whoops. As soon as I sent this, I remembered that Simon did explain this in
an email he sent me. In case anyone's curious to know his answer, here it is.
I'll be forwarding the rest of the email to the list shortly just so it's
available.

   When you edit/create a new tool, the "Browse" button for specifying the
   location and work directory do not work. They should show a dialog. At
   the top, there would be two radio button on one line. Something like: "
   ( ) Variable  ( ) File System". If variable is selected, then
   underneath, the variable form should be shown (see
   ExternalToolVariableForm). There is an extension point for both location
   and work directory variables. Look at how the refresh scope group makes
   use of this variable form. If file system is selected, then underneath a
   widget(s) should be shown to select a file or directory. I think the
   workbench or swt has support for this. We do not want the file selection
   dialog to open here.

Sorry,
- Jared

On Friday 27 September 2002 04:54 pm, you wrote:
> The current wizard for creating a new external tool allows you to define
> the tool's location via the "Browse Workspace..." or "Browse File
> System..." buttons. Selecting from the browse workspace button fills the
> text field in with something like:
> ${workspace_loc:/myProject/myFile.xml}
>
> In the new stream (SA_NEW_UI), the location field only has a "Browse..."
> button which does nothing. Does anyone know why the distinction between
> adding a workspace location and adding a filesystem location was removed or
> what the new button is supposed to do exactly?
>
> Thanks,
> - Jared

Back to the top