[platform-ant-dev] custom ProjectHelper

Title: custom ProjectHelper

Hi,

A while back Ant introduced the concept of a ProjectHelper, which is responsible for setting up a project from an input (currently limited to files).  This is useful because it allows users to write their own ProjectHelper, which works differently than the default ProjectHelper in Ant.

There are two ways to plug in a custom ProjectHelper:

- via Java services (i.e. include a META-INF/services/org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper file in a Jar specifying what class is the custom ProjectHelper)

- by setting the system property org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper with the value of the custom ProjectHelper's class name

When running Ant with the command line tool you can set the system property by setting the environment variable ANT_OPTS, whose value is passed as arguments to the VM.

So far, so good.  My problem is now that I can't find a way to load my custom ProjectHelper with the Eclipse Ant plugin.  And unless Ant is launched in a separate VM I don't see a way to do so either.  An option would maybe be using System.setProperty(), but then there might be problems with the scurity manager.

Will custom ProjectHelpers be supported by the Eclipse plugin?

Cheers,

--
knut

Back to the top