Re: [platform-ant-dev] Heads up: Eclipse Ant Support will be changing

Peter, do you know off hand which ant tasks have this requirement?  It
would be useful to know so we can test other approaches.  Also, I'm
wondering what impact it would have if we said, "you can either use the
eclipse-specific tasks, OR the ant tasks that must be loaded by the system
loader, but not both".

                      Peter Donald
                      <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>              To:      platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-ant-dev-admin@         Subject: Re: [platform-ant-dev] Heads up: Eclipse Ant Support
                      eclipse.org                     will be changing

                      04/03/2002 05:46 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ant-dev

Hi,

Just as a heads up. There is no way you can currently maintain 100%
compatability with the commandline invocation of ant if you don't start a
new
JVM. Some tasks/classes rely on being loaded from the system ClassLoader.
At
one stage we tried to change the ant runtime so that it would be easy to
allow embedding in another ClassLoader but unfortunately it broke too much
stuff. So we ended up being forced to go back to our old method for
backwards
compatability.

We are trying to address these issues in ant2 but that wont be out for a
time
yet.

I would recomend that you start a new JVM (possibly with a custom launcher
that registers your particular librarys) to do ant compiles if you want
100%
compatability.

Back to the top