Re: [platform-ant-dev] Heads up: Eclipse Ant Support will be changing

The library you specify in that extension point is not a plug-in runtime
library like the ones specified in <runtime>. It is simply an attribute to
that extension point. So, your plug-in's classloader will not have
lib/myjar.jar in its classpath.

For example:

<plugin>
   <runtime>
     <library name="myplugin.jar"/>
   </runtime>
 <extension point="org.eclipse.ant.core.antTasks">
    <antTask name="myTask" class="com.examples.MyTask"
             library="lib/myjar.jar"/>
 </extension>
</plugin>

We'll create a classloader that has lib/myjar.jar in its classpath. If this
new classloader does not find a class in lib/myjar.jar it will ask your
plug-in's classloader for it. That's how MyTask can find plug-in classes.

Hope that helps,
Rodrigo

                      Aldo_Eisma@xxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        To:      platform-ant-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      platform-ant-dev-admin@         cc:
                      eclipse.org                     Subject: Re: [platform-ant-dev] Heads up: Eclipse Ant Support will be
                                                      changing

                      04/04/2002 11:35 AM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ant-dev

Why do I have to specify a library in the new XML element you are
proposing?

> <extension point="org.eclipse.ant.core.antTasks">
>    <antTask name="myTask" class="com.examples.MyTask"
>             library="lib/myjar.jar"/>
> </extension>
>
> The contributions to these extension points are used to automatically
> include
> these library JARs on the Ant classpath, and to fabricate appropriate Ant
> taskdefs. And any plug-in that contributes to these extension points is
> automatically included on the classpath as a collaborating class loader.

You claim that the classloader of a plug-in that contributes to this
extension point is automatically included on the classpath. Doesn't that
mean that class com.examples.MyTask will be found in the plug-in jar?
If not, how can MyTask in turn refer to plug-in classes that are not
in myjar.jar?

-Aldo