[photran] Automatic call of Preprocessor does not work on Mac

Dear all,

I am new to Fortran and Eclipse. Therefore please excuse imprecise statements. I am running Eclipse for Parallel Application Developers, version 4.6.0 on a Mac with OSX 10.11.6.

In my project I have some files with preprocessor statements. These files end with *.F90.  The way I understand Photran, the according lines in the autogenerated makefile should include calls to gfortran with the preprocessor activated. I checked that indeed *.F90 files are associated with "Free form - C Preprocessed" in "Project Settings>Fortran General>Source Form".

But unfortunately this does not work for me. When building the project I got an error message:
make: *** No rule to make target `aggregation_mod.o', needed by `lcmain.o'.  Stop.

I looked into the autogenerated makefile (subdir.mk) and indeed did not find any rule for 'aggregation_mod.o'. So it seems to me that the autogeneration of the makefile does not work properly with source files that should be preprocessed.

At the moment I am using a workaround, by renaming the source files to end with *.f90 so that Photran understand them as non-preprocessed files. Then I add add the -cpp flag in the compiler options. This works for now. But as I have project partners who will later also work with the code, I prefer to have source files with preprocessor statements to end with *.F90 and accordingly being recognized as this.

Any idea why the automated call of gfortran with preprocessing does not work for me and any help how to fix it is greatly appreciated !

Thanks and regards,
Raphael

Back to the top