Re: [photran] Refactoring for Fortran code with #include?

Hi Brian,

I help manage a weather forecasting software package called WRF

Good to hear from you! WRF is in Photran's (internal) test suite, but mostly as a goal...

It looked, at first glance, like all refactoring operations are disabled for Fortran source with C preprocessor directives. 1. Are there any workarounds for refactoring Fortran code with CPP directives?

Unfortunately, not really, not at the moment.

Refactoring in the presence of preprocessor directives is still a research topic. My group at Auburn University is working on fully preprocessor-aware refactorings for C. We hope to migrate our work to handle C-preprocessed Fortran (in Photran) in the next year or two, but it will depend on funding, etc. Completely handling WRF would be fantastic. (On that note, if you know someone at UCAR or elsewhere who would be interested in working with us to fund that kind of work, I'd really like to talk to them...)

2. Can other features of Eclipse/PTP help us with finding and fixing certain "bad" code blocks that appear?

This is a really good idea... and also one that Photran doesn't implement at the moment.

Jeff

Back to the top