Re: [photran] trouble erupts cygwin gfortran windows 7 (Michel DEVEL)

Title: sincerely_yours.txt
Le 14/06/2011 19:22, subcientifico@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
Thanks Michel,

How do you know Photran 6.0.7 or 7.0 addresses these problems?
Daniel Harenberg and I have reported similar problems.
We have both installed 6.0.7 and found that not all problems were solved for old and complicated projects but that there were some progress.
Version 7.0 is available for test. Please have a look at the announcement by Jeffrey Overbey in the archives of this list to find where you can get it.
Where are these versions available--updating Eclipse does not find them.
You have to add http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ptp/updates/helios in Window / Preferences / Install/Update / Available Software sites, before Help / Check for updates

Could the problems be (perhaps in part) engendered by the other parts of the environment, namely gfortran and tool chain under Cygwin on Windows 7 and Eclipse Helios?
If You do not need to address more than 2 GB of memory you can stick to Win32 (even if you have a 64 bits version of Windows) and cygwin is good for that. I would just advise you to upgrade to gcc4 and gcc4-fortran 4.5.0-1 (by clicking repeatedly on the box next to their lines in setup.exe of cygwin (default version is 4.3.4).
If you really need Win64 fortran binaries then it is a bit more complicated.
What about parameters to the tool chain processes?
If cygwin is correctly installed I do not remember any additional parameter to set but I did that quite some time ago (I (sometimes) use a mixture of Win32 cygwin and Win64 Mingw that I would not recommend since I have to edit my PATH environment variable from time to time (but I mainly develop under Linux)).

As I recall, perhaps incorrectly, a preference for the Cygwin over the Ming environment on Windows--is that correct?
Mingw is not as complete as Cygwin (unless you also install MSYS) and there may be problems for additional utilities that you have to install using configure or Cmake.
However, You can have Win64 versions of Mingw which you do not have for cygwin.

--
Sincerely yours,

Michel DEVEL

Back to the top