[photran] Early access version of Photran 7 available for testing

On June 22, Photran 7.0 will be released along with PTP 5.0, CDT 8.0, and Eclipse 3.7 as part of the Eclipse "Indigo" release train.

Photran 7 will have a number of exciting new features, including code templates, a Correct Indentation command, several new refactorings, and a much faster indexer.  For an overview of the new features, see this link (which is obviously incomplete but hits the high points): http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/new_and_noteworthy/5.0.0#Photran_7

Several people have asked to try out a prerelease version of Photran 7.  So, if you're interested in testing an early build of Photran 7, here's how.  We'll be interested to get your feedback.  Please report successes/failures on this mailing list.

Remember: THIS IS AN "EARLY ACCESS" VERSION OF PHOTRAN 7 FOR TESTING PURPOSES.  The official release of Photran 7 will occur in June and may look very different from this.  (The installation process will be much easier, and we'll have an updated user's manual, among other things.)
  1. Download the "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers" 3.7 M6a from here: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/node/516
  2. Download the file ptp-master-5.0.0-I201104011706.zip from here: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/tools/ptp/builds/indigo/I.I201104011706/ptp-master-5.0.0-I201104011706.zip
  3. Unzip/un-tgz the eclipse-cpp-indigo-M6 archive you downloaded in Step 1, and run the "eclipse" executable to start Eclipse.
  4. When Eclipse starts, close the Welcome screen, then click on Help > Install New Software.
  5. Click the "Add..." button.  This will open an "Add Repository" dialog.
  6. Click the "Archive..." button.
  7. Select the file "ptp-master-5.0.0-I201104011706.zip" that you downloaded in Step 2, and click OK.
  8. Click OK to close the "Add Repository" dialog.
  9. Under the "Fortran Development Tools (Photran)" category, check the box labeled "Fortran Development Tools (Photran)."
  10. Click "Next >", click "Next >" again, accept the terms of the license agreement, and click "Finish."
  11. Click "Restart Now" when prompted.

Back to the top