Re: [photran] Request for adding -fcheck=all to the default GCC Debug config

Hi Michel,

I think I understand your point better now. What I had in mind is that you can add it the way you described
('
in  Preferences/Fortran Build/ Tool settings/GNU Fortran Compiler/Debugging/Other') and then save the configuration. That is still pretty much visual and you don't have to look into the actual makefile, so I guess students could do that once, then they have it. I agree that it would be much nicer to have it as an option under Debugging that you could simply click. Since I mostly work with the Intel Fortran Compiler, I can only say that Photran has very good support for that: there are about 20 different compile and runtime flags just for debugging that I can click, among them the equivalents of -fbounds-check and -fcheck=all.

A few more things to consider: different compilers have different flags for the same thing. The exact meaning of flags changes over time (even for the same compiler). And enabling all runtime flags can make programs very slow. With the equivalent of -fcheck=all I can only debug parts of the code, because program execution is so slow.

Best,

Daniel