Re:[photran] WORKAROUND: Exec error:The system cannot find the file specified

Dan Tullis said:
>Method 1, for both CDT and Photran plugin seemed to work for me. Why are
you suggesting Method 2 for the Photran plug-in? Are there bad consequences
that I will run into?
Because there isn't an update site for Photran.
Probably when it's a final release Jeff will make one (or I'll help him if
necessary)

Most eclipse projects are like that: for daily builds, beta releases, RC
(release candidate)s, etc. we just download a zip/tar archive and
un-archive it on top of our eclipse install.
For formal releases, an update site seems worth the trouble. :)

..Beth

Beth Tibbitts  (859) 243-4981  (TL 545-4981)
High Productivity Tools / Parallel Tools  http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 455 Park Place, Lexington, KY 40511

             Beth
             Tibbitts/Watson/I
             BM@IBMUS                                                   To
             Sent by:                  Photran Information
             photran-bounces@e         <photran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/24/07 02:43 PM         Re:[photran] WORKAROUND: Exec
                                       error:The system cannot find the
                                       file       specified
             Please respond to
                  Photran
                Information
             <photran@eclipse.
                   org>

NO, I don't believe that's correct.
That last step ("Then, launch eclipse and ....")
is *not* necessary, and will probably break something.

When you manually download photran and unzip it *inside* your eclipse
directory, you're done.
Restart eclipse.  You may need to use the "-clean" argument on that next
invocation to make sure it finds the newly installed plugins as it
restarts.
       eclipse -clean

So, basically the steps to install the Photran feature are:
1. unzip or untar eclipse
2. run eclipse and use the update manager to install CDT 4.0.1 (it should
be on the Europa update site URL which should already appear in your update
manager)
3. close eclipse
4. download and unzip/untar photran into the eclipse directory.
5. restart eclipse with -clean

Basically, there are two ways to install eclipse
extensions/features/plugins:
1. from the Eclipse Update Manager (Help > Software Updates > Find and
Install...)  which uses an "Update Site")
2. manually download and unzipping/untarring into the eclipse installation
directory.

Here we are suggesting to do CDT using method 1.   and to do photran using
method 2..

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts  (859) 243-4981  (TL 545-4981)
High Productivity Tools / Parallel Tools  http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 455 Park Place, Lexington, KY 40511

             Dan Tullis
             <dantullis@yahoo.
             Sent by:                  photran@xxxxxxxxxxx
             photran-bounces@e                                          cc
             clipse.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re:[photran] WORKAROUND: Exec
             10/24/2007 01:48          error:The system cannot find the
             PM                        file       specified

             Please respond to
                  Photran
                Information
             <photran@eclipse.
                   org>

Martin,
I am on WinXP also, there is no executable installer. You just download the
Eclipse Europa zip file and unzip it to your c:\ drive, for instance.

After you have Eclipse installed you go to Help-->Software Updates-->Find
and Install, choose "Search for new features to install", then Next, then
choose one of the sites listed not sure which and then press Finish. then
choose a mirror and then you should see some download packages. You want to
find CDT4.0.1.xxxx

This is really a nice way to install as you don't have to worry too much
about dependencies.

THEN, you have to manually download the Photran plug-in/feature to you hdd.
Unzip it.

Then, launch Eclipse and you go to Help-->Software Updates-->Find and
Install, choose "Search for new features to install", then Next, then
choose "New Local Site" and point to the windows directory you just
unzipped the Photran plugin/feature to, and then install.

--Dan