[photran] Contributing to Photran

We are always looking for more contributors to Photran! If you are interested in contributing to Photran's development, there are lots of ways you can help, even if you don't write Java.

If you DON'T know Java/Eclipse...

* Bug 172587 - Transparency missing in some Outline view icons. About 5 minutes with Paint Shop Pro, the GIMP, etc. would fix this!

* Documentation. Anything more substantial than our meager "Documentation" page on the web site is a start!

If you DO know Java, and you know or want to learn Eclipse plug-in development, these are good "starters"...

* Bug 172571 - Ctrl+/ does not activate Comment/Uncomment action. A little reading on Eclipse should make this easy to fix. Just tie a couple of "loose ends" together.

* Bug 171911 - Need to add Local Fortran Application launcher. This is probably even easier to add: just subclass the Local C/C++ Application launcher and change the label.

* Bug 172611 - Photran 3.1 beta 2 still does not appear to work under Java 1.4. I added this in response to the thread on "Can not open free format fortran editor with photran 3.1 beta 2." If someone WITHOUT a Java 5 JVM would try to build the Photran feature, that would be a start on resolving this.

* Many UI Features are relatively easy to add.  For example:
    * Matching parenthesis highlighting
    * Better automatic indentation
    * Rewriting the Editor Colors preference page to look like CDT/JDT
    * Syntax highlighting of OpenMP and/or MPI directives

(Syntax highlighting is *completely separate* from the lexer/parser, and the code is significantly easier to understand!)

If any of these interest you, please ship me an e-mail (overbey2 {at} uiuc {dot} edu) so I know you're looking at it. I (and the other active developers) will be glad to have your help and will be willing to answer any questions.

Jeff Overbey