From: Craig E. Rasmussen [mailto:rasmussn@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 07 November, 2005 18:08
To: overbey2@xxxxxxxx; Photran Information
Cc: foote@xxxxxxxxxxx; crasmussen@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [photran] When is refactoring inclusion planned?

I finished the refactoring and formatting engine several months ago;
Spiros and I are refining parts of that and working on actual
refactorings.  Our undergrads are tying a simple Rename Local Variable
refactoring into the user interface, which will be available in beta 2
or beta 3.  Other refactorings will appear after we've convinced
ourselves that they're robust enough to unleash on you.  :-)

This is really good news.  I talked with several customers at LANL and
they were excited about the possibilities, and unfortunately, wanted
to start using refactoring immediately.

2. It does not have all of the nice formatting options the JDT has, and
it probably never will.  Instead, it will more or less preserve your
current code appearance.

I assume that this means it will have basic unparsing capabilities.  How
about
simple things like consistently adding indentation to move from F77 to
F90?  This is one of the requests.

3. The refactoring component is a research tool.  It was designed to be
generic, modular, and (relatively) easy to understand, modify, and
maintain.  Efficiency is not a major concern, at least right now.  It is
a memory and a processor hog, and it can be slow.  This is not because
we are bad programmers; rather, Spiros and I total just one full-time
equivalent
Because of the interest from important teams at LANL, I will be able to
spend
significant amount of my time to help.  If money were available this
fiscal year,
are there more students that could help at Illinois?

Jeff, did you resend the plugin you made without ZIP in the name.  I'd
like to
take a look at it and add some interface extraction features I need.

Brian I'm assuming you are going to SuperComputing but not Jeff.  It would
be nice if we could come up with a tentative schedule for refactoring and
who was going to do what and when.  I would like to start working on some
of the refactorings of interest to our users in December.

Cheers,
Craig