Re: [photran] running photran

On Oct 31, 2005, at 7:58 AM, Doug Schaefer wrote:

So can someone enlighten me on the g95 versus gfortran story. I read the something on the gcc site that slammed g95. But I read somewhere else that
g95 was more advanced in their development.

After all the talk at the CDT summit about Fortran. I figured that I should probably play around with it and learn Fortran. Which path should I follow?

Buy "Fortran 95/2003 Explained" by Metcalf, Reid, and Cohen and peruse it.

As I understand it (I've forgotten the details) there was a disagreement among the g95 committers and gfortran split off leaving one (I think) person still working on g95. gfortran is officially blessed by GNU and will be included in future releases
of gcc.

However, g95 is apparently better at compiling real code. We are using (and
adding F2003 features) to gfortran.

You might want to look at:

1. Arrays (first class objects in Fortran).
2. Modules (compare with C++ namespaces).
3. Derived types (compare with C structs).
4. C interop (in F2003 for interoperability with C).

Cheers,
Craig

Back to the top