RE: [phoenix-epic-dev] bogus rankings on EPIC

I, in no way see this as an Instantiations issue. It is very unfortunate that the example Mik forward might make it seem that way but I don't think it was the intention.

The explicit mention of Instantiations made it look that way.

We have no interest in playing any rating games. If we did, our flagship CodePro AnalytiX product would be ranked a lot higher than it is (currently 54th) and have a great many more votes (currently 52). ;-) In fact, we have lots of products on EPiC and only WindowBuilder is in the top ten list (through no fault of our own...the Chinese just love us!). :-) I think WB has more votes than all of our other products combined (by a fairly wide margin).

I think there are a couple of things that we need to resolve: 1) what is our policy for handling these individual requests, 2) do we believe this is a legitimate voting and who makes the decision

How about setting up a moderator / grievance group that would review each case? That group could then remove one or more votes from an IP address. Even eBay has a procedure to get truly bogus rating removed.

How often do complaints like this actually come in?

3) is there a way to restrict this type of voting in the future.

Some of the ideas that were discussed earlier would certainly have this effect in general. In the specific case of this IP address (with votes spread out over a very long time), I don't know whether any of those ideas would have helped.

I would prefer we don't just delete the votes from this specific incident, since I don't think it solves the real issue.

On a case by case basis, I don't have any problem with deleting votes. There probably should be some way for this to happen in extreme cases (just as with eBay). Whether this would even qualify as an extreme case or not, I don't know.

BTW, why not add a feature to EPiC to allow someone to remove their own votes (if I recall, the 2Y site allows this)? If you visited EPiC, you could click on a button to see all of the votes from your IP address and delete one or more of them.

-Eric Clayberg
 Sr. Vice President of Product Development
 Instantiations, Inc.
 mailto:clayberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 http://www.instantiations.com
 http://www.windowbuilderpro.com