[phoenix-epic-dev] Survey Update

Almost 300 responses so far.  Just to keep your appetite whetted, here are some suggestions that have come in the "What would you like to see added to EPIC" open ended question:

Don't know...
Quick tutorials in ordert to start working with any plug-in
tags for plugin and tag based search
List of plug-in (in)compatibilities with eclipse versions and other plug-ins
Trustful user ratings. Better way to choose the best plugin on a category.
More filtering/search capabilities.
Accurate and hierarchical plugin categorization
eclipse FAQ search
News, Introduce, PlugIn, Embedded, JavaME, EMF
auto update for all common plug-in for eclipse
more open source community communication in EPIC
I donĀ“t know
Better navigation. Specifically, when I'm looking for a category of plugin, sometimes I have trouble browsing to such a thing. Perhaps either run with the tags or labels used on other sites, or a yahoo/open-directory style browse interface. The former is probably easier to maintain and more useful.
Plugin tutorials
don't know
usefull framework plugin for eclipse
Please increase the update rate for plugins on EPIC, I often download a newer plugin from the original post site not EPIC.
I want a tutorial or a sample.
freedom
hope......
It's all ok :)
I'd like to a more sophisticated plugin search engine with several criteria in one query. For instance, It would be better to allow searching/filtering on name, category, license, rate and date.
More robust compatibility information for plugins, I have gotten at least one nasty surprise when a plugin broke my Eclipse install.
An easy way to filter open source plugins from commercial plugins when browsing and searching.
Don't know.
Deeper integration with Eclipse's plugin management infrastructure. It would be excellent if EPIC could became a repository for plugin updates. A discussion thread associated with specific plugins entries would be an interesting addition, as well.
Add a "LOGIN" link instead of having to click "Membership," it's confusing for new users. Also, after I login, I would have expected to see a list of plug-ins listed under my account so I can quickly find and edit them. Currently I have to do a search or find them in the plug-in catalog to do edits. The ability to edit this from the "My account" screen would be more natural
Make the site more faster. Make it easier to see which plugins are closed/open.
Integration with Eclipse platform, not only as web site
bug tracking
Search accessible from all pages. Use of filters to narrow down selection.
ALmost across the board, searching for eclipse plugins is difficult. Improved searching with better keyword ranking and an easy way to narrow searches would be great. Easy doesn't mean just and Advanced Search link. Easy means keywords. For example: hibernate license:BSD
The only thing I would really like to see is more robust search capabilities. There should be an advanced search screen where you can search on one or more categories, one or more eclipse versions, license, etc.
More content including snazzy designs and graphics.
Fine-grained categories
I think EPIC should be split into three separate groups: Eclipse Foundation Projects, Commercial Plugins and Open Source plugins. Group number two should be available for editors who present Eclipse Foundation members who build tools based on Eclipse (ex.: Adobe, BEA, Zend). Group number three, Open Source project, must be open to public so every OSS plugin developer could add their plugin into repository. But of course we need some restrictions applied here. That is, plugin developer should provide tests that pass, description, documentation, feature site and uninstall option for the plugin to be valid for addition to EPIC. The last one is missing badly. One more thing is that EPIC should provide a dependency resolve feature. That is if I choose to install RadRails that requires RDT, it should automatically add RDT to install list. Mini-browser of top downloaded plugins and recent updates would be cool.
Current rating system is useless and non representative. It should use more representative system that would reflect current plugin. E.g. expire some ratings (to reflect newer versions), take user credibility into the account (so, ratings from user who rated more then one plugin from different providers should have bigger weight), etc. EPIC should provide an update site aggregator, perhaps even configured for individual user interests.
nothing.

Cheers,

  - Don

--