Re: [phoenix-dev] It time to terminate Phoenix

+1

From: phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wayne Beaton
Sent: November-27-12 3:50 PM
To: 'For developers on the Eclipse.org website project.'
Subject: [phoenix-dev] It time to terminate Phoenix

We stopped operating Phoenix as anything like an Eclipse project a long time ago.

All active "Phoenix" code--i.e. the org.eclipse-common directory--is being maintained as part of the website. That is, all of the real code associated with Phoenix is under /gitroot/www.eclipse.org/ and owned by the wwwauth UNIX group.

There is some other content in the Phoenix CVS repository, but I think that this is all just old staging for content that has since moved to the website. I believe that the entire Phoenix CVS repository can just be archived without affecting any of us. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Planet Eclipse is already basically separate from the project with its own UNIX group.

The project forum does get some modest amount of activity. Should we keep it around, or just refer people to Bugzilla? I prefer to shut down this forum and point people to Bugzilla.

The phoenix-dev list does get some activity, but I think that we can find other places to have this discussion. I prefer to shut down this mailing list.

One implication of shutting down Phoenix is that Mike, Matt, Nathan, Chris G, and Pablo would cease to be Eclipse Committers. Since none of the resources that any of these EF staff members work on are actually owned by Phoenix, this will have no effect on their day-to-day. Is this an issue besides?

I'd like to schedule this for early December. Your timely input is appreciated.

Wayne

--
Wayne Beaton
The Eclipse Foundation