From: phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:08 PM
To: For developers on the new Eclipse.org website project.
Subject: Re: [phoenix-dev] New website design: a call for participation

Well, I think if you apply too many constraints, we won't get the innovation and clean new look we desire.

d.. visual representation of the existing site elements must remain
-- 3-column page elements: Left Nav, right-side "boxes", center column 'content boxes' like on http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/
-- 4-column page elements: Left Nav, right-side "boxes", center column 'content boxes' like on http://www.eclipse.org/phoenix/
The visual appearance of all these elements can be altered and modernized, but the elements themselves must be present.

For example, consider these websites: none of them have three or four columns:
http://www.37signals.com/
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/?from=getfirefox
http://www.netbeans.org/
http://www.wesabe.com/
http://twitter.com/
...etc...

Why don't we try for a really good modern look instead of staying with the big-company-esque overly busy look of the past?
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/browse/linux/?c=serversintro&n=Linux2001&t=ad
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/bb964355.aspx

[end of message]

Back to the top