RE: [phoenix-dev] Suggestion: componentization of Phoenix

+1

Although it would be helpful to state that you wouldn’t be constrained by your assigned component for typo-esque changes, so that typos can be fixed by anyone, no matter the page.  -Lynn

From: phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:47 PM
To: phoenix-dev
Subject: [phoenix-dev] Suggestion: componentization of Phoenix

Phoenixers,
I'd like to suggest that we divide Phoenix into components so that we can more accurately elect Phoenix committers. For example, I "own" the /projects/ and /proposals/ sub-trees, and I occasionally delve into /org/councils/, but other than that I'm not *full* Phoenix committer. I wouldn't care touch EPIC or Planet or even the main App files. If I felt like make a change to those files, I'd send a patch to one of the senior committeres (Denis, Nathan, ...). Thus I'm really only a committer on the "Projects" component of Phoenix. Similarly, Anne is also a full committer on Phoenix, but she works on even less of the tree than I do. And Donald is a full committer, so he has commit rights to modify the development process pages, but he shouldn't really because he doesn't understand the complexities there.

I believe we are already effectively managing Phoenix commit rights by component, but we're doing it in a hidden way, i.e., we all just understand what we are allowed to do or not. If we were to switch to a full component strategy, we would be open and public about the situation:

  • *: Denis, Nathan
  • Projects: Bjorn, Anne
  • EPIC: Nathan, Susan, Mark, Jochen, Howard, Maher, Todd
  • Planet: Gunnar, Chris
  • Members: Donald, Ian, Lynn
  • Foundation: Mike, Bjorn

Plus it would be easier to add others as appropriate (after they qualify for committer status through patches, etc), for example:

  • Legal: Janet, Sharon

Thoughts?
- Bjorn

Back to the top