[phoenix-dev] Don't make me think

Mike lent me a book on Web Usability called Don't Make Me Think (Amazon link below).

I didn't read it because I Didn't Want to Think, so I carefully glanced at the pages. I learned *tons* in one hour.

Everyone working on Phoenix should go through this book. Here are some points I retained:

- we need to dumb stuff down

- we need a tagline. Andrew pointed this out. I suggest

Open-Source Software Building Platform

but we could/should open this issue on Bugzilla to get community feedback.

- people don't read instructions

- people don't like to read. Cut the happy talk.

- we should color-code each site section

I applied some knowledge to the Newsgroups intro page.

Before:
Welcome to the Eclipse Corner Newsgroups. These newsgroups are your way of communicating with the community of people developing eclipse based tools, as well as the Eclipse Project core team. Ask questions, and share ideas, issues, and insights. Please stick to technical issues - and remember, no confidential information - these are public newsgroups! You might also want to read "How to ask questions the smart way" by Eric Raymond and Rick Moen for some tips on participating in newsgroups. (NOTE: Eric and Rick are not a help desk for the Eclipse Project !)

After
Ask questions, and share ideas, issues, and insights. Remember, no confidential information - these are public newsgroups!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321344758/qid=1126704386/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1608751-9180731?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

--
Denis Roy
Manager, IT Infrastructure