From: phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Milinkovich
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:40 PM
To: phoenix-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [phoenix-dev] Draft Newsgroup Posting

This is what I would like to post on the eclipse.foundation newsgroup. Comments welcome.

Project Phoenix

Keen observers of the Eclipse Foundation will have noticed that we have successfully completed our hardware migration. There is still work to be done as we have a few more servers to bring up. But we are now running the site on brand new servers.

Many thanks to our webmaster Denis Roy for several lost weekends and many long hours getting this done. Thanks also to HP, IBM, Intel and Novell for donating the hardware and software to run this new infrastructure. I think that thanks are also due to Susan Iwai and others who kept the website up and its content fresh during the past several years of wild growth in projects, members and users.

The next stage is to get started on improving the functionality of our website. I believe that it is fair to say that everyone agrees that an overhaul is needed.

To this end, the Eclipse Foundation has started Project Phoenix. We will be running this project under open source rules of engagement, using Bugzilla, CVS and other tools as applicable. What does this mean to you? Basically, that you will have the opportunity to contribute to the project as it evolves. We need the feedback, contributions and energy of the community for this project to be a success.

A full scope document will be posted soon, but a very high-level overview of the scope of this project is: to improve the  accessibility and quality of the information needed by the community to perform their tasks and provide a single access point to that information.

Note that "community" as used here is a very broad set of constituents: consumers, committers, contributors and members all have requirements which need to be met by our new website.

The initial set of committers on the project are listed below. We hope that we will have other committers to add in the future.
  • Mike Milinkovich (project leader)
  • Denis Roy (webmaster)
  • Susan Iwai (content meister)
  • Bjorn Freeman-Benson (development process and committers)
  • Ian Skerrett (marketing and members)
  • Andrew Geraghty (web designer)
/mike

Mike Milinkovich
Executive Director,
Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

P.S. For those of you who may have recently seen the Flight of the Phoenix, any similarities between the project management styles of Elliott and I are strictly coincidental :-D

Back to the top