RE: [phoenix-dev] Audience Persona Sheet

 comments below

"Ian Skerrett" <ianskerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: phoenix-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/29/2005 04:39 AM

Please respond to
For developers on the <phoenix-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<phoenix-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [phoenix-dev] Audience Persona Sheet

 Andrew,

 I think it is great that we are starting to identify the needs for each user.  This seems like a great start.  Here are some comments.

1. I really don’t understand the difference between consumer and user?  Just saying a user actually uses support resources seems to be pretty specific.    I would suggest that we have no idea if someone will actually use support resources.    In fact, we should always strive for making sure Consumers are aware and take advantage of the support resources.  That way we can help ensure they are successful.  In my mind these seem to be the same category.
**The consumer is meant to mean the guy who just wants to download something 'now', without futzing around in project info.  A consumer can become a user when they start needing more than just a quick, clear way to the downloads.

2. Why does a user care about membership information? We actually don’t offer membership to users.
**If they're new, or evaluating, they might use the 'pedigree' from the members to contribute to a decision.  They might also use a member's plugin if the info were there?

3. Users are interested in communicating with other users to share experiences or learn from other people.   We need to create an environment to make this happen.   Things like ranking systems for white papers, documentation, even Eclipe projects.
4. I believe we will have different types of users.  Off the top of my head we have Java developers, J2EE develoeprs, embedded developers, C/C++ developers, Linux developers, architects, testers.  We need to present information that is relevant to what they are trying to do.
**I'd add that we also have folks who are looking for RCP, API, debugger specific info.  Maybe we could group these under something called 'Themes" that would cut across the project organization?

>>> There are probably two types of grouping.   Function/technology grouping and how the person identifies themselves.   I believe it is more important to group based on how people identify themselves.

5. Is the neeed ‘How to start a project’ meant to be ‘How to start an Eclipse open source project?’   or How to use the Eclipse IDE and use the project wizard.  I think you mean the ‘start an open source project’?  If so, then I think the majority of users will not care about this.  If fact I think very few people care about how to start an open source project.
6.  Users will want to know other resources for support.  Where can they get help and information that might not be on eclipse.org.  For instance, what seminars/trade shows are available.
7. For Plug-in developers, I don’t see them posting release plans or architecture documents on eclipse.org.   Plug-in developers have no formal relationship with eclipse.org and are focus on creating ‘products’.either for commerical sale or open source distribution.
**they may be contributors - if they find bugs, provide fixes in the process of creating their plugins?

8. Plug-in developers will be interested in promoting their ‘product’ on eclipse.org.
**they may also be interested in recruiting help for a project

9. Member companies are interested in promoting their products via eclipse.org.  I think we can do this via a product catalog, membership listing, and highlighting their news items.  We will also provide ‘members only’ marketing opportunities for participating in trade shows, advertising, editorial content, market research, etc.
10. Member companies also want to get credit for being associated with Eclipse and providing resources to eclipse.
**What are some ways we can give credit?

>>> I would suggest we take a look at what TPTP is doing.   On their home page they list the companies contributing and all also profiling each committer.   Not sure if we want to do this for all projects but it should at least be an option.

11. A benefit of being a member is the ability to network with other member companies.   We can do this via f2f meeting but it would also be interesting to find options to do it via the internet.
**What sort of electronic networking do you think they'd participate in?

>>>  I really don’t know  L   This is probably something we won’t do in the first round.

12. Member companies would like to have insight into the user community, ie stats on usage of projects.
**This goes beyond 'click stream' data and maybe relates to 11 in that if we are connecting users to the members through our website, its a form of networking.  Shouldn't there be an input point as well when projects are developing their feature and release plans?

>>> I agree

Susan