Re: [pdt-dev] Gerrit for PDT

Jacek,

Great initiative. I vote for option #2 as well.

Thanks!
Natalia

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Jacek Pospychała <jacek.pospychala@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi PDT Team!

I'd like to enable Gerrit for PDT.

The main reason is to simplify accepting contributions, which now come
mostly thru Github pull requests.
As much as we love free code contributions, for each one I need to ask
contributor to open bugzilla and attach their PR as patch (just to
make sure that their contribution is properly flagged for IP). You see
how backwards it is!

Unfortunately enabling Gerrit requires all committers to switch to
different repository URL.

It's all explained in
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Gerrit#Enabling_Gerrit_for_your_Eclipse.org_Project

We can choose one of the two options:

1. committers use Gerrit code review exclusively for my project.
Everything must be reviewed -- no direct access to the main repo
should be available.
2. committers are able to bypass the Gerrit code review system and
push changes directly to the git repo. Please note that this will have
to be done via the 'new' Gerrit URLs(SSH and HTTPS). The original
dev.eclipse.org SSH URLs will become inactive once Gerrit is enabled.

I'm in favor of option 2.

I'm planning to ask Webmaster to enable Gerrit for us on Friday, 18th
(two weeks from now), via bugzilla to be added next week (after all
your feedback).

Please let me know if you have any concerns.

cheers,

Jacek