[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [pdt-dev] official release of maintenance for PDT 2.0
- From: Nick Boldt <nickboldt@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:30:13 -0400
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references :in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=tTBnb1gMuLasOZr6Sv7H96V8rTvKNSW+KWHWB5xvTVeBQxrshYWbQfPD54btiLOwGM W4x/Tua9zUcwxfMubTSc99DWxXZWc6b/SzLaZbMDtr+oqC8b5hnp+YFI5nqu7r4TSpu1 CziRsiwknxPCZwrc79Nd5UL9HYnfviIm5+rdo=
- User-agent: Thunderbird 220.127.116.11 (X11/20090320)
That's not really the way the Eclipse Development Process works:
maintenance != new features. That said, "urgently needed" can be
interpreted as "this missing functionality makes the release unusable"
and therefore justifies the change. But IANAL, TINLA, and my
interpretation of the EDP should not be considered a recommendation. :)
FWIW, I've been using Eclipse 3.5 for months now, and it's pretty
stable. The new p2 stuff is worth looking at too.
In lighter news, I have a candidate PDT 2.0.1 build available for the
dev team to review and publish if satisfied. I fixed the problem w/ jar
signing - it was still set to use Alon's credentials so it was unable to
ssh the Master.zip to build.eclipse.
Kirchner Mark wrote:
After all, the maintenance branch is only for urgent bug fixes,
Slightly off-topic, but I have to take the opportunity:
Since "urgent" seems to be equal to "none at all" during the last 3 months (or so), I consider this "only urgent bug fixes"-constraint a bit problematic: All the "nice" fixes (e.g. code-completion) seem to happen in the 2.1-branch only, which is Eclipse 3.5 only, which I won't be able to use in a production environment.
So, a pretty-please to the devs: Since Eclipse 3.4 is the current/stable/production-ready release, please consider backporting not only the "urgent" fixes but at least also the "it's really ugly without them" ones.
Nick Boldt :: http://wiki.eclipse.org/User:Nickb
Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena