Re: [pde-ui-dev] PDE 3.4 Test Plan

I think that we should follow the pattern that JDT UI and Debug uses.

Turn the current plan, which lists step-by-step instructions on how to test basic cases into a smoke test. It would ensure that the basics of everything are working and we haven't crippled anything obvious. If the steps can be automated, we could replace a manual test with an JUnit test. JDT UI has a similar smoke test that they previously ran before every integration build.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDE/UI/TestPlan_3.4
http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/ui/smoke-test/smoke.html

Second, we create a new test plan that describes all the areas of PDE UI. This test plan would describe different areas to test with some detail, but without step-by-step instructions. Testers would have to have some knowledge of the area to do proper testing, but testers would have the flexibility to test edge cases, unique circumstances. Essentially it encourages testers to find new ways to break things. Debug does this for each milestone and it is very effective. I have created a wiki page with a draft test plan.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDE/UI/TestAreas
http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/debug/test_plans/test_plan-3.4M7.php

I find that the current PDE test plan is helpful to describe the basics of testing PDE. However, trying to maintain step-by-step instructions on testing every part of PDE is very impractical.

I too would love to get feedback from thec ommunity on this.

Curtis

Inactive hide details for Chris Aniszczyk ---04/30/2008 10:25:34 AM---To let people know, I'm going to be updating the PDE propChris Aniszczyk ---04/30/2008 10:25:34 AM---To let people know, I'm going to be updating the PDE proper test plan for 3.4

Chris Aniszczyk <zx@xxxxxxxxxx>

pde-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/30/2008 10:25 AM

[pde-ui-dev] PDE 3.4 Test Plan

To let people know, I'm going to be updating the PDE proper test plan for 3.4

I currently moved it to the wiki:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDE/UI/TestPlan_3.4

I would appreciate any feedback from the community for more test scenarios, but this has been our historical test scenarios.

Cheers,

---
Chris Aniszczyk | IBM Lotus | Eclipse Committer |
http://mea-bloga.blogspot.com | +1.860.839.2465_______________________________________________
pde-ui-dev mailing list
pde-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx