[pde-ui-dev] Re: Import wizard does not select all existing binary projects

Dejan:
The case I'm talking about is the upgrade path where you are trying to import
plugins from an upgraded host into an existing selfhosting workspace. In this
case, selecting all existing plugins, just selects all plugins, source and
binary alike, which isn't what we want.

Wassim:
> I do not think that 'Existing Binary Plugins' should pick up the new
> plugins, because 'Existing' means 'in the workspace', and the new plugins
> are not in the workspace.
> Not everybody imports all the plugins into their workspace.  So tweaking
> the meaning of 'Existing binary plugins' to make it 'all Eclipse projects
> that are not source projects in my workspace' would be misleading and would
> result in an influx of bug reports.  I could just see it now :-)

I agree. Just thought it wise to check how it works now before I started
making suggestions. :)

> Having said that, I do agree that we have to do something to pick up all
> the plugins that you are not working on, yet keeping the defintion
> (Existing = in the workspace) intact.
> Here is a suggestion:
> A new button: "Existing source projects", which selects all projects that
> you are working on, and then you select 'Invert Selection' to get what you
> need.

This would allow us to get what we want with two clicks, which is better than
what we have today. This proposal would give us the functionality we want.

However, thinking out loud a bit... if we expect people to always click
"Existing Source Projects" and then "Invert", it might be better (it would be
more convenient for the Eclipse developers, at least) to instead provide a
button which essentially performed these two actions directly. I can't think
of a better name for this button than "Select Non-source Plug-ins". The only
problem with this button is that I'm not sure anyone would be able to read
the label and guess what it means. ;)

Either way, this would make our lives easier.

Thanks,
- Jared

Back to the top