Re: [pde-dev] Contribution to PDE API Tools

That makes sense, Curtis! Thanks a lot for your attention.

Cheers,
João

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Curtis Windatt <Curtis_Windatt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Joao, sorry for the slow reply.

I can't think of a scenario that I have experienced where package level annotations would be helpful.  What is API is defined using the OSGi manifest at the package level.  Marking an entire @noextend/@noimplement doesn't make sense, marking a package as @noreference would be better enforced by not adding the package as API at all.

I wouldn't expect an API to change it's restrictions very often.  @noreference could be used to exclude parts of the API that are not fully formed, but once they are API, the annotation should be removed on a permanent basis.

Curtis

Inactive hide details for João Arthur ---01/28/2014 01:13:14 PM---Hi Curtis, thanks for the references. I've been looking to thJoão Arthur ---01/28/2014 01:13:14 PM---Hi Curtis, thanks for the references. I've been looking to these bug reports and past data. It seems

From: João Arthur <joaoarthurbm@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Eclipse PDE general developers list." <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 01/28/2014 01:13 PM
Subject: Re: [pde-dev] Contribution to PDE API Tools

Sent by: pde-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Curtis, thanks for the references. I've been looking to these bug reports and past data. It seems to me that one of the biggest problem is to maintain the annotations as the code evolves. Some people complain about having to update annotations spread through the code.

Do you think that expanding the usage of annotations to the package level could help that? It would be less code to update when rules/code change.

João