Re: [pde-dev] [Target Platform editor] What's this update button?

1) The update button currently is only supported by the p2 software site target locations.  It provides a quick way to change the version of installable units included in the target.  Doing this without the button required editing the location, unslecting the previous version and selecting the new version, then repeating for each location.  Since the UI workflow for editing p2 locations is limiting, the button serves a useful purpose.  If you have suggestions on how to make its purpose more clear, absolutely we would consider them.

2) I think this would be an improvement, as long as the user doesn't see the "re-load" button and assume the target platform has already been updated with the changes they made.

Curtis

Inactive hide details for Mickael Istria ---02/06/2014 12:23:57 PM---Hi all, I've got some poeple in my team complaining about Mickael Istria ---02/06/2014 12:23:57 PM---Hi all, I've got some poeple in my team complaining about some usage issues with

From: Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date: 02/06/2014 12:23 PM
Subject: [pde-dev] [Target Platform editor] What's this update button?
Sent by: pde-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

I've got some poeple in my team complaining about some usage issues with target editor. I have to admit I share some of their complaints and I usually prefer using the Target-Platform preference entry to deal with TP, since I am less surprised by it's behaviour. So I've got a couple of questions/suggestions to make, and I'd like to discuss with you whether they make sense as improvements to put in Bugzilla.

1. What is the "Update" button supposed to do? Add, Edit, Remove are explicit edition actions, and that's cool. However, I'm not sure I fully understand the meaning of this "Update" button. It makes me believe it is something like the "Reload" button in preferences, but it's probably not.
Does this update button perform an action related to edition?

2. In case TP is already loaded, I would expect clicking on "Set As Target-Platform" to behave like reload. Actually I'd rather read "(Re)load target-platform", and have it the same effect that the "Reload" button.

What do you think about it?

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at