Re: [pde-dev] Single plug-in in Git. Project Layout

FWIW I suggest option 1). You can always edit the readme.md and other root files like .gitignore using EGit's "Git Repositories" view under "Working Directory". Or if not using EGit, it can be edited with File > Open File. Keeping the plugin in a child folder also gives you a natural way to later add documentation, tests, or other files outside the plugin directory as needed over time. Having the plugin at the root of the repository feels very constraining and will likely limit your options as the code evolves.

John

From:        Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse PDE general developers list." <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        03/11/2013 08:54 AM
Subject:        [pde-dev] Single plug-in in Git. Project Layout
Sent by:        pde-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best layout for a single plug-in project in
Git. The project has a readme.md file (to be visible on the GitHub
frontpage) and tests. I've tried two options:

1. A plug-in and a test fragment.

/here.is.my.plugin
  /src
  /META-INF
/here.is.my.plugin.testfragment
  /src
  /META-INF
/readme.md

The problem with this layout is that since the readme.md file is not
part of any project, it is not visible in Eclipse.

2. The root of the Git repository is the root of the plug-in. In this
case I cannot have a test fragment.

/src/main/
/src/test/
/META-INF
/readme.md

This layout seems natural to me. The tests are bundled with code and the
readme.md is at the root of it all, but I cannot get the JUnit plug-in
tests to work unless I actually include the test-classes on my
Bundle-Classpath. What seems to be lacking is that the generated
"dev.properties" file used by the PDE launcher does not contain the test
classes. Is there a known remedy for this problem?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren