Re: [pde-dev] Target Platform question

On 06/01/2010 04:00 AM, Jeff McAffer wrote:

* The semantics of Features are pretty clear.
I'm sorry, but they are all but "clear". Very few people outside of the inner circle (PDE and p2 committers) understands how the feature data is interpreted by the publisher and how (if) it is otherwise used. Reading the outdated documentation just adds to the confusion.

As for p2.inf tweaks, the common use of p2.inf is to *add* to, not change, the data that is supplied by the feature.xml itself.
My point is that the feature cannot be used as a trustworthy source. The nature of the change really doesn't matter. This is acceptable since the feature is not really used by the installer anyway. Nor is it used at runtime.

If builds really use what's in the feature.xml as trusted input for their builds or tests, then they are in big trouble and should switch to using p2 meta-data immediately.

- thomas

Back to the top