Re: [p2-dev] Re: [pde-dev] error running P2 metadata generation

thanks, Let me give that a try

Andrew Niefer wrote:

Hi Mark,
I've just noticed that you changed from p2.generate.metadata to p2.gathering. You may be in a intermediate state between two different build setups.

If you only changed the director to be 3.5 and the rest of the build is still on 3.4.2, then p2.gathering won't work, which is why there is no repository. You can change the properties back as you had them and the 3.5 director can install the same as the 3.4.2 one would have.

If you've changed the entire build to 3.5, then p2.gathering=true has different behaviour than the old p2.generate.metadata There are some docs here: http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/tasks/pde_p2_builds.htm that try to explain the differences.

Basically with p2.gathering=true, it goes something like this:

   1. the product build first publishes metadata to a build repository,
      which by default is ${buildDirectory}/buildRepo.
   2. the director is run automatically and installs from buildRepo into
      the normal build result location
   3. a mirror call is run to mirror metadata from buildRepo into your
      specified p2.metadata.repository and p2.artifact.repository

You would not need your own director call anymore with this change. If you have your own director call in a custom step, it could be the mirror to p2.metadata.repository hasn't happened yet.

To debug, you can start the build process using vm args "-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=8000". The vm will then wait for a debug to attach. In a separate instance of the same version of eclipse, you can import org.eclipse.pde.build as a binary project with source. Set breakpoints and attach to the running build on port 8000. When building with p2.generate.metadata, you'll also want org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.generator
Building with p2.gathering, you'll want org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher
The director is in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director.app.

When running with p2.gathering, the automatic director call happens in a separate process, see org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/genericTargets.xml#runDirector You'll need to set p2.director.extraVMArgs=-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=8000, and then attach to that director process later.

-Andrew