[pde-dev] NoClassDefFoundError IContentOutlinePage and eclipse -clean

Hello,

I am extending a "prolog" editor plugin for eclipse. The original plugin did not have a content outline.
When I install the new plugin with content outlining (like the java editor plugin example) into eclipse as a jar file
I get the following error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/ui/views/contentoutline/IContentOutlinePage

org.eclipse.ui.views is included under the required bundle header of the manifest file.

If I run eclipse with the -clean option the error disapears and the plugin works as I would expect.

I can recreate the error as follows:
1. put the old plugin back into eclipse\plugin directory
2. fire up eclipse and I get my prolog file without its content outlining.
3. shut down eclipse an put the new version into the eclipse\plugin directory.
4. fire up eclipse with -clean and I get the error is back.

What is going on here? Is it a problem in my code or a feature of eclipse?
Does eclipse maintain some form of cache which "remembers" that a plugin
does not require content outlining?  and so will not create a ContentOutline object for it because it remembered that
the plugin did not require content outlining the last time it was run?

Thanks very much,
Paul.

Back to the top