[pde-dev] Support for other JVM languages

Hi all,

I was recently trying to write some new PDE templates that would create new projects written in languages other than Java.  Currently things are working ok, I've managed to set up the project with the correct natures, and generate files from templates.   I was wondering if there's any way of getting better support for this in the API.

My current hold up is the fact that the Activator.java file is created in PluginClassCodeGenerator which I have no access to.  Therefore currently my Scala implementation ends up with the activator being created twice, once in scala and once in java.

I'm willing to submit a patch to fix the problem as long as the patch would fit into the future vision of the PDE.  My proposed solution is:

1) Make an interface for PluginClassCodeGenerator
2) Allow users to specify a new PluginClassCodeGenerater on the IFieldData interface (or within another public API).
3) Default the PDE classes to using the existing implementation of the PluginClassCodeGenerator.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing a response from you all!

Thanks
-Josh Suereth

Back to the top