Re: [pde-dev] installing PDE?

Hi Ken,

What Eclipse distribution did you install? On the downloads page there are lots of different distributions you can get including:

- Eclipse IDE for java developers
- Eclipse IDE for Java EE developers
- C/C++ Eclipse
- RCP Eclipse
- Classic

Some of these don't have the PDE installed. If you are trying to write plug-ins you should probably get the one for RCP / Plug-in developers.
Does anyone know if Ken can get the PDE through the Europa update site?

Cheers,
Ian

Simpson, Kenneth wrote:
Hi - I'm running version 3.30 (build id I20070621-1340) on Linux and I'm trying to get started with PDE but I can't seem any information on how to install it. The project page indicates
   PDE is built atop the Platform and JDT, and ships as part of the Eclipse SDK.

In PDE we do tooling, but our business is people! but there are no links to any additional information. And it's not clear what "PDE is built atop of the Platform and JDT" means. And if your "business is people" shouldn't there at least be link to a FAQ on the project page? Should it be bundled with Europa 3.3? Shouldn't I see the keyword PDE somewhere in my installation if it was installed? I can't follow any of tutorials because I can't find PDE - although it's not clear if these tutorials are for 3.1 and 3.2.

Searching the mailing lists generates a couple of thousands hits and none of them appear to be relevant even if I had time to read all of them.

There's a standalone PDE binary in the download are but I'm not looking for a standalone PDE - I need to use PDE inside of my Europa installation.
Any help in getting started with PDE would be greatly appreciated.

-- Ken