RE: [pde-dev] PDEState and state caching

>Wassim le grand wrote:

I don't know about the 'le grand' part.  I'm just a guy who likes to make
plug-in develpers happy :)

Such a task would certainly be useful.  However, what would you envision
the input for the task would be.  ie. will we pass in 2500 plug-in IDs? :)

Wassim.

             "Philippe
             Ombredanne"
             <pombredanne@gmai                                          To
             l.com>                    "'Eclipse PDE general developers
             Sent by:                  list.'" <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             pde-dev-bounces@e                                          cc
             clipse.org                fg@xxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [pde-dev] PDEState and state
             09/01/2006 12:12          caching
             PM

             Please respond to
               "Eclipse PDE
                  general
             developers list."
             <pde-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Philippe le sneaky wrote:
> >I am building a set of ant tasks that re-use PDEState to
> >validate the state of an arbitrary set of bundles and plugins, all
external.
> Care for a contribution?
We use those as a post-build test task that can help discover issues
when you assemble several projects's plugin together, to make sure all
dependencies are properly resolved in a user configuration.
It performs a static validation ensurnig that you will get OSGi
resolution at the minimum.
I could see it's use for Callisto, or any large or very large Eclipse
deployment.
For instance validating that a set of plugins/bundles you ship will
resolve at runtime -- especially when you have 2500 plugins ;-) created
by every known alien species in the galaxy-- can be daunting and error
prone.

Including a test/validation task after everything has been built and
packed can uncover snafus.
At least it does for me.

Cordially
--