RE: [pde-dev] Resources/Editors Binding via Runtime Logic

Then it’s probably an issue that I will have to climb around and look at an alternative method such as a special resource view that would include the items instead of binding them on a global level within Eclipse—essentially my own tree view for my web plug-in.

-Jacob

-----Original Message-----
From: pde-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pde-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob Foster
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 5:33 PM
To: pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [pde-dev] Resources/Editors Binding via Runtime Logic

Thank you. Some issues with such "sniffing" are performance and user transparency.

There are two levels of performance concern: 1) A plugin that wishes to dynamically decide must be instantiated. 2) The plugin may then read resources, like your web.xml example, including the resource in question. If the plugin is allowed to "catch and release," to use a fishing metaphor, the next plugin in line would be instantiated, multiplying the concerns by the number of eligible plugins.

If plugins are allowed to decide at runtime which editor to invoke, what of the desires of the user? The user clearly says "Use editor X for extension .abc," but file foo.abc is opened up in editor Y because some plugin thought it knew better.

The need for sniffing of some sort is easy to demonstrate. For example, it is impossible to correctly decide the encoding of an XML document without reading a portion of the document. But how much of it should be pluggable?

Bob