[paho-dev] Upcoming plans for Paho C++ and Rust libraries

Hey All,

A quick update on my plans for the Paho C++ and Rust client libraries...

Paho Rust Client

As I posted a few days ago, a pre-release version of the Paho Rust library (v0.4) was uploaded to that language's package repository, crates.io. Over the long US holiday weekend, I knocked out most of the remaining known issues and am currently doing some life and stress tests on it. When done, later this week, I will upload v0.5, and leave that to percolate while I switch focus to the C++ library. So far, this appears stable and is fully featured for MQTT v3.1.1, based on the Paho C v1.2.x library.

The next step for the Rust library will commence in early 2019, to add support for the following:
  • Rust Futures and (optional) Tokio
  • Rust 2018 release
  • Wrap the Paho C library v1.3 to get:
    • MQTT v5
    • WebSockets

Paho C++ Client Library

This week, I am finally turning my attention back to the C++ library. I plan two releases over the next few months. First I plan a minor point release to fix bugs with the existing version and update the build system. This will still target MQTT v3.1.1 via Paho v1.2.x.

With that in place, I will then start working on the new features for MQTT v5 and WebSockets.

Point Release (End of 2018)

Bug fixes and re-worked build system for the existing feature set (MQTT v3.1.1)

  • Knock out the existing GitHub issues and pull requests
  • Rework the build system:
    • Mark the autotools and GNU Make systems as deprecated.
    • Rework CMake using more "modern" and encapsulated techniques
    • Ensure Windows builds work better
    • Add a Git Submodule pointing to the Paho C library and automatically build it

Next Major Release (Early 2019)

Support for MQTT v5 and WebSockets

  • Wrap the new Paho C v1.3
    • Support for MQTT v5
    • WebSockets
  • Better coverage of information coming back from the server
  • Better error reporting

If anyone has any other feature requests or issues to report, now would be the time to put them up on GitHub.

Thanks,
Frank

Back to the top