Re: [paho-dev] Python MQTT native vs. as binding

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 12:59:45PM +0000, Ian Craggs wrote:

> the answer is yes :-)

Great ;-)

> I wrote a Python binding a while ago, but when I first talked about
> it, a had a couple of comments about a pure Python client being more
> desirable, so I let it have a low profile.  I haven't touched it in
> a couple of years, so it might need updating.  You can find it in
> the test directory of project:
>
> https://github.com/eclipse/paho.mqtt.c/tree/master/test/python

Interesting... well, I guess it will need updating after these years.
I'm interested in Python 3 and I'm using it with Python's asyncio,
so I'm calling loop_{read,write,misc} "manually" at appropriate places.

> If there is interest, I can look into adding it to the project
> properly.  And obviously I would appreciate any contributions made
> in this area :-)

I would certainly be interested in having a base version working
(Python 3, Paho-C 1.2), so that we can test the performance.
If that would be significantly faster, it might be worth adding
it to the project officially.

> I haven't done any performance comparisons between Python and C
> implementations, so I can't comment to the size of the advantage, if
> any.

Would be happy to help testing that.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>
--    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Office: +31 20 6938364

Back to the top