From: Ian Craggs <icraggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: paho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: General development discussions for paho project <paho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [paho-dev] Plans for MQTT V5 in Paho
Date: Wed, Jul 26, 2017 7:38 AM

Hello all,

the MQTT version 5.0 specification is nearing completion, with the
availability of working draft 15
(https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?wg_abbrev=mqtt&show_descriptions=yes),
which is going to be, with very minor changes, the first Committee
Specification Draft (CSD).  This means that we are nearing the end of
the process of creating the MQTT 5.0 specification.  There is a 30 day
review period for the CSD once it's officially published, then if
changes are needed as a result of feedback, there will be a second CSD
with a further review period, and so on.  We anticipate that two CSDs
will be sufficient.

To facilitate MQTT v 5.0 adoption and awareness in the community, and
give feedback to the OASIS TC within the CSD review period, James Sutton
and I are proposing to start work on implementations in Eclipse Paho.
The rough plan is:

1) Ian to write a Python "test" broker to enable client testing and a
server implementation model.

2) James to start work on a Java client implementation.  This will
probably be a completely new codebase, because the existing Java client
was for a long time deliberately constrained to the Java 1.4.2 language
level to be compatible with JavaME.  A new code base will enable later
Java language features to be fully exploited.

3) Ian to write C and embedded C client implementations.  I haven't
decided yet whether or how to extend the current codebases or write new
ones.  My plan is to try extending, and if that proves excessively
complex, to review that approach.

4) After Java, James will probably look at _javascript_ next.

We will open issues in the relevant projects to encourage discussion of
MQTT v5 support.

If any other committers also want to embark or experiment with MQTT v5
support in their components, we of course will welcome that!  Your
thoughts and comments are of course welcome.

Thanks.

--
Ian Craggs
icraggs@xxxxxxxxxx                 IBM United Kingdom