Re: [paho-dev] Please Try Out the MQTT-SN Gateway

On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 at 09:50 Tomoaki Yamaguchi <tomoaki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your suggestions.

1.

> I'm not sure about its purpose,
const char* getDescription(void) { return "XBEE"; } has been changed.

Purpose is to show sensor network parameters defined by gateway.conf as follows:

Ah, I see its in your fork, but not in the gateway branch yet (my github terminology may not be right here). I think I'll try out your fork then, it seems to have some nice improvements.

you don't need to change Makefile to build GW for XBee.
SENSORNET is over writen by a command line parameter.

Input command as follows:
      $ make SENSORNET=xbee

Wow, I've used make for how many years and I didn't know command line assignments overrode explicit makefile assignments. You learn something new everyday!

3.
I disagree changing to the software selectable GW.
No one knows how many sensor network devices should be covered.

Sure, everyone who uses the supplied code knows: There are two. Of course people can write their own, but 99% of people will use it "out of the box". I'm not saying the ability to add ones at compile time should be eliminated, but what will happen is likely this: If this gateway has some success, people will want to have pre-built binaries for the supported networks (currently XBee and UDP). So, someone will make an Ubuntu package (or whatever) and just build one executable for each type of network. If more network types are added to the base, there will be more executables. This has the additional clunkiness that if the a new network type is added to the codebase, the package building stuff has to be updated instead of just rebuilt. This will also lead to confusion, as they all can be defined in the gateway.conf. Eventually, people will want one executable and be able to select which network type (or even types) in the conf file. Of course, one could easily have a make variable which defines which networks are in the executable for those who want to build their own.

However, in any case, it only matters if the gateway gets some usage, which would be nice!

PK

Back to the top